Trosper Family 2016

Saturday, November 22, 2008

My Thanksgiving Letter

One of the nicest gifts the Lord blessed me with is the ability to “count my blessings”. Even in the midst of a challenge I never get too discouraged because there are always so many gifts to be aware of. This is why I chose to write a letter of Thanksgiving for 2008.

The first stanza of an old Bing Crosby song keeps running through my mind….actually woke me up tonight which is the opposite of what the lyrics imply. In spite of that, it really is timely now in the nature of the nations problems.

“When I’m worried and I can’t sleep, I count my blessings instead of sheep,
And I fall asleep counting my blessings.
When my bankroll is getting small,
I think of when I had none at all,
And I fall asleep counting my blessings.”


This has been a year with so many things to be thankful for. They were packed in around some trials and challenges. For those of you who didn’t know, Bud and I have filed for divorce. There was no anger or angst, as a matter of fact we are still pretty good friends and get together regularly with our family and even for an occasional night out together. I can call on him to change a light bulb, and I return the favor any way I can. We have spent 42 years “cleaving together” so we aren’t totally “uncleaving”. I am not making light of our vows, they were so important to both of us and we worked very hard before reaching this decision. As painful as it is, it is the right decision for us. Our kids understand and are supportive and loving to both of us.

One of our most blessed events in 2008 was the addition of Leah Caitlin Bliss Trosper to our family. She was born on October 15th at 6 pounds 3 ozs, 19 ½ inches long. Her parents, Marque and Sarah, could not be happier. They are learning what it means to be diapering and feeding at 4 am. She truly belongs to the Trosper family even though she came through the arms of a loving “birth” mother. I spent a week in American Fork, UT content to cuddle, smell, feed, change and LOVE this little bundle of joy.

Leah’s cousins Madyson and Hailey are so excited to meet her at Thanksgiving. They have really enjoyed shopping for her. Madyson (8) is looking for dress up clothes, dance gear, and dollies to help Leah follow in her interests. She is in six dance classes and is in a competition level in four styles of dance; hip hop, jazz, lyrical, and character dance. Managing to get her school work done even though she is at dance three nights a week is important to her as well as it is to her parents. Although Hailey (almost 11) is a beauty, she has brains as well. If she were to share her interests with Leah it might include politics. She ran for school President this year and she used the national political campaigns to help her plan her own campaign strategy. Luckily her dad finds her a willing listener when he discusses the political landscape and she really understands the balance of power better than most Americans. Besides dance and scholastics another thing Hailey excels at is the art of sarcasm….but then she has some world class teachers in her Uncle Scott and her Dad.

Jim and Sam are enjoying being “Aunt and Uncle” for the first time. They are so looking forward to visiting Utah at Thanksgiving and getting their hands on their little niece. Jim is grateful he will have the opportunity to be with family (his own AND extended) more now since he is working Monday through Friday after his career change to Avescend. He loves training his staff to give hospital patients and their visitors excellent guest services. He finds them more deserving than the “gamblers” he used to serve. Samantha is LOVING being a busy Mom as well as working at WINCO. Mostly she loves having Jimmy off when she and the girls are so they can enjoy family moments and build memories.

“Scooter got a Scooter” is what the Chino officers say about Scott being a new motorcycle cop. With the new position he also got a Monday – Thursday schedule and he loves the opportunity to live a more normal life with nights and weekends off. I get to see him more often when we are both at work in Chino too. He was honored with two Life Saving awards this year. How do you say in a paragraph what a proud moment that was for a Mom? Aside from his career Scott counts his new niece as one of his greatest blessings. He is pretty darn good at spoiling little girls so he will just continue more of the same.

Marque and Sarah don’t seem to be having much difficulty at all adjusting to parenthood. Abundant love helps new parents overcome any inadequacies. Sarah quickly left PMI to become a full time Mommy….and she revels in the change of occupation. Marque has to leave his girls to work, but fortunately is usually able to get away from PMI himself for Dr visits and other important events in little Leah’s life. What a lucky little girl she is!!! Leah was expected to be a little boy so there were a few changes to be made, but there was nothing but elation about our little angel. Marque and Sarah are firm believers that they can raise a child and still enjoy traveling. As a matter of fact it sharing it with Leah gives them even more reason to build those memories.

I am so fortunate to have such amazing children. Wow! There just aren’t words that convey the feelings of a pounding heart. Seeing the excitement and joy they share with each other in these happy moments, and the strength, courage, and support they give during the difficult times is inspiring. When I have asked them how they can be so strong and positive they tell me it is because they had good childhoods, parents who loved them, and they have their own lives now that are happy and fulfilling. Can any parent ask for more?

The Lord indeed blessed me with a grateful heart, but he also blessed me with three amazing sons, two beautiful daughters-in-law, THREE perfect granddaughters, a tremendously supportive Mom, brothers and sisters who love me, an extended family who keep me in their prayers daily, friends who lend listening ears and soft shoulders, a world created to feed me physically and spiritually…..counting my blessings instead of sheep….and I fall asleep counting my blessings! Good night.

Gratefully,
Leslie Trosper

P.S.Hey, promise me you’ll have a blessed holiday season yourself, okay?!

2 comments:

Anna K. said...

I love this post! I will have to remember to count my blessings every night!

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

We love you, Mom!