Trosper Family 2016

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Life may not be roses, but at least it's daisies!

In the Emergency Room after experiencing some chest pains a few weeks ago my kids came to visit and lift my spirits. I was relatively sure the pains were nothing to be concerned about, but there is some family history and my own history that prompted the visit and the doctor's concerns. Anyway, I was explaining to Scott that perhaps my pain was due to "stress" about the family not being in sync as I would wish. My greatest desire has always been that my family would be "happy". My focus was never on wealth or fame, just happiness. Of course there were some things that I felt would lead them down "happy trails", but I didn't really care if they took my path or found their own as long as the end result was "Happily Ever After".

Bud and I get along famously for a divorced couple, allowing the family to be together during holidays and events with a minimum of discomfort. If there are other issues they are also treated with respect so the family can gather joyfully and work together cooperatively for the better good. But, sometimes I feel that elephant in the room that we are not the family that I always hoped we would be. This elephant transferred to my chest on this particular occasion.
So there I was in the emergency room trying to explain to my kids why I was there. They gave me a pep talk, lots of love, and reassured me. In my tears I said "All I want is for you kids to be happy, and things are not." Scott said "Mom, we are happy. The family is happy. Everything may not be roses, but it's at least daisies!"

That really hit home. Maybe in this life things don't always go as we plan. There are different roads taken, different choices made, and we need to adjust from our happy trail to another happy trail. We need to recognize that even when things aren't as we planned, they can still be great! Thanks to my family for making my life and my trails happy. Thanks Scott for this particular insight. I think it was a very wise analogy for your Mom who loves analogies!

I like roses........but if I can't have roses then daisies are great too!

No comments: