Trosper Family 2016

Friday, April 9, 2010

....hmmm what shall I write about?

I decided that I needed to write in my blog more often. Not because I have readers, because I don't. But because I have a real desire to write articles, a book, or something, and I need practice.
People have always told me that I have talent in expressing my thoughts. I didn't agree. My writing to me seems very generic. I believe Marque has great talent in putting his thoughts and opinions to word. He has a strong vocabulary that makes things he writes about come alive. Jimmy is really capable of emoting in his writing. Strong sentiments and emotions make his essays and poems passionate. Scott doesn't enjoy writing as much as Jim and Marque, but I know when he was getting his degree he had to do alot of writing. He got all A's so it must have been good. So I would say they have a gift for writing.
My Dad was a good writer too. You could even see his talent when he would sign a birthday card. My mom would always buy the present, get the card, but leave the sentiment to Dad. He wrote me two letters in my life that I cherish. One was when I graduated from High School and the other was the night before I got married. I love taking them out and re-reading them. Holding them in my hands I look at the penmanship...unique, strong, and artistic. Imagining his hand, which I still can picture perfectly, holding the pen doing flourishes just above the paper before setting it down to begin. I can see the little half smile appear as he gets an idea about what to pen. In the letter at my graduation he waxed nostalgic remembering everything that was important all through my life. He recalled friends, boyfriends, events, and tragedies peppering from childhood through this adolescent rite of passage. I was amazed what a full life I had lead, and that it was important to my Dad too. In the letter the night before my wedding when I was 18 years old he wrote a letter expressing love from my Mom and he. I'm absolutely sure he thought I was making a huge mistake taking such a big step at such a young age and he reminded me to "be very sure. When you step up to that altar if you have any doubts..... All your Mom and I want is your happiness." It was replete with emotion, angst, and love. Absolutely beautiful. My mom says I have inherited his gift. I feel my sons have inherited their grandfathers gift as well.
Writing is very important. Journaling can be history, thoughts, emotions, goals, failures, encouraging and discouraging times to be passed on....so can books. The readers are just more numerous and not so prejudiced. They are not just family members but others who might benefit from what is written.
Do I have anything of value to pass on to the general public? Can I express myself well enough to make it interesting, entertaining, and/or beneficial. I have conceded that when I write down what I am feeling at a given time, I can re-read it much later and bring back to mind exactly what the experience was all about. But, I still am not convinced my talent goes any further than that. While I appreciate those friends and family that compliment and encourage me, I do know they are coming from a point of view that isn't exactly objective.
So I just need to write, develop any skills I have, try to find subjects to contemplate on paper, and see how I fair over time. If anyone happens to read this, please send me a subject to write about. I love researching things too. So if it requires research that's okay. Or something that I can philosophize about....I love that too.
I have written a child's book called "An Elf's Christmas Story" that I just need to get published, and don't know how to go about it. My sister, Lynette and I are writing a book about two sisters who are opposite in every way and see their world with a very different perspective. They love each other and being sisters overcomes all differences. It is based on our own childhood experiences. Another book in my head is kind of a self help book called "On a Positive Note..." It will have different chapters on dealing with, and overcoming adversity. Also, I am intending to write a book for the church audience about my life and divorce experience. I think it would be helpful to a specific group of people who may go through similar experiences.
So.....first step.....write. But sometimes to write I need to decide....what shall I write about?

6 comments:

Casey said...

I am always in awe with people who have the talent to write. I am not one of those, so I truly admire and respect those that can. I agree totally about Marque. I love reading what he writes. I also love reading your blog also. Since having my own blog it's almost terrifying to write not because it's personal but because I might not express correctly what I am feeling. Just today I was reading a blog of someone who is talented in writing. I realized that it's ok for people like me not to have that talent because there are people out there who can express my feelings in a way that I can't. I am anxious to read what you are going to write. I'll try to think of something. Good luck and have fun with it. What a good goal to set for yourself.

Casey said...

Oh! Just thought of something. There is a woman in our ward that is writing her first novel. She has a blog and I know corresponds with other writers through it. If I can find it, I'll send you her link. It just might give you some people to relate to.

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

When are we going to see this Elf book in publication?

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

Thanks Mom and Casey for the way too generous compliments.

Leslie said...

When I figure out how to go about publishing it.

Lyn said...

Well, sis, go to the library and look up books on publishing your childrens book and do what they say. I keep renting them, but haven't followed thru yet. Well, I guess you can write on procrastination. I've been meaning to but just haven't gotten around to it yet.