Trosper Family 2016

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Pollyanna?

My whole life people have called me a "Pollyanna". I have always taken that as a compliment because I thought Hayley Mills in the Disney movie of the same name was a positive little girl who changed the world she lived in by her "glad game". I do relate to her attitude that you can always find something good in every situation and every person. It makes life a happier place doesn't it? And I am a happy person, so I guess it works. Or does it?

When I was at a Bliss Family Reunion a few years ago they gave awards for different things, and when they were giving the award for the "Pollyanna" of the family I was surprised that most of my aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers and sisters shouted my name in unison. The other day my cousin told me I was a real genuine "Pollyanna". Also, one time there was a long conversation on our family website about a picture that was posted when I was 8 years old, noting that I wasn't smiling. They couldn't imagine what was wrong with me that day because apparently many thought that I ALWAYS smile. Well, obviously I don't ALWAYS smile, but I concur that I do usually find the bright side of life, want to fix things (and people) if they aren't working (or happy). I am a grateful person who can find beauty around me, even if my current situation isn't beautiful. So I always enjoy "spurts" of joy, but is this attitude always beneficial? I think I am learning that it isn't.

I was blessed with a forgiving heart, I don't know how to hold a grudge, and I have a large capacity to love unconditionally. I am not patting myself on the back because it is not something I worked hard to attain. It seems either I was just born with it, or it was conditioned into my life at a very young age. Trying to live as closely as I can to Christ's example is important to me, so I have made efforts there, falling short of course, but always trying. It has been brought to my attention by many people that I love very much that perhaps too much of a good thing is "too much of a good thing".

I just googled "Pollyanna" and this are the meanings it listed.
–noun
1.
an excessively or blindly optimistic person.
–adjective
2.
(often lowercase) Also, Pol·ly·an·na·ish. unreasonably or illogically optimistic


Uh-oh! That doesn't sound so good; "blindly optimistic", "unreasonably optimistic"? So "Pollyanna" is probably akin to "Queen of Denial"? As I look at life as it is for me I am recently learning that I really do fall into this description. My Doctors have always told me that my health is affected by unresolved issues and "stuffed feelings". As my last blog indicated, I have had several friends that have seen something in my face, attitude, and shoulders that they thought indicated that I wasn't okay even though I claimed I was. Well, I was okay. Playing my little "glad game" of positivity so well I can fool myself I guess.

Family members and friends have been amazed that Bud and I have retained such a close relationship since our divorce. I was always happily married and in spite of Bud's recent change in his life, views, and desire for marriage...I was still the same person. I tried to be angry because I thought it might make it easier for me, but it just didn't stay....not an emotion I carry around. Bud doesn't mind being in my life as a handyman and a friend. I have always been concerned with his health, needs, emotions, financial situation and relationship with the kids and grandkids....kind of sounds like marriage doesn't it? Guess my brain, heart or some part of me didn't realize I was divorced. Problem is, it is hard for me to be around him. The line blurs and I find myself wanting to stick my hand in his, my arm through his, and even to curl up on his shoulder. Not healthy for either of us. Actually, I thought it was okay to get along, to be friends, to see the best in him and our relationship, but I find it does affect my health. Frequently after I see him, or we have a family get together I have had an increase of pain from my fibromyalgia, more tiredness, and even ended up in the hospital. Problem is, being a "Pollyanna" I don't even tie those things together. I'm just are "glad" I DIDN't have a heart attack after all. Or "glad" that it is a beautiful day today instead of raining causing the fibromyalgia to be worse.

I do believe my "Pollyanna" attitude has a tendency to make me co-dependent. As the "Queen of Denial" I can see that maybe I missed signs that would have told me things in my marriage weren't as good as I believed it to be. There have been other circumstances in my life, and those close to me, that probably would have had a different result if I had actually "seen" them rather than putting my "rose colored" optimistic spin on things. I actually believe that it may just be another way of putting my "head in the sand".

So with the help of my friends and family I am going to be making some changes in my life. I am going to put me at the top of my list once in awhile. After all the Lord said "Thou shalt love thy neighbor, as thyself." How do I change? Do I want to become burdened with the woes of the world, or even my own life? No way! Should I try to feel my feelings, react to them, and then see the brighter side of life? Probably. That way I can protect myself, keep from sending others mixed messages, and resolve issues before they exacerbate. So I am determined to stay positive, find joy in all things, but to take the words "blindly", "unreasonably", and "illogically" out of my optimistic attitude.






3 comments:

Casey said...

Ok! So I may be butting in where I don't belong. I always love reading your blog and I have recognized your happy attitude. Which I believe is a great thing. I too try to do the same. I don't like sadness, anger, or negativity. Who really does? So after I finished reading that, I thought about the ARP classes. Which sounds strange because is there such a thing as an addiction to positivity? My thoughts quickly turned to the fact that we can have negative things happen to us and you have, obviously but we are to take them to the Savior and leave them at his feet. You are instead keeping them inside instead of giving them to the Savior. I have a dear friend who has been going to the ARP classes because Years and years ago she was annorexic (sp?) and just feels she has a few unresolved issues even though she allows herself to eat. She posts about it on her blog and the change that has come over her is remarkable. I have heard that the classes are amazing and are great for EVERYONE because we all know that everyone has trials. Anyway, I just thought I'd share what came to mind. THanks for sharing something so personal.

BTW, I don't think Pollyanna is a negative thing. I love that movie too and more people need to be like that.

Leslie said...

Thanks Casey. You know I have attended the ARP classes for about a year now. They are great. It is kind of strange to be there because your addiction is your ex-husband, or too many friends that you love, or too much positivity, but that's what I'm there for. It is very hard to draw the line between charity, loving as the Savior has asked us to love. If you have to have an addiction it's a good addiction to have, I guess. But basically in the program it says ....when your addiction causes your life to become unmanageable....and unfortunately I don't have many boundaries. But, it isn't as clear cut as quitting smoking or drinking alcohol. Not that those are easy, but it's pretty clear to see how to resolve the addiction. This is not so clear cut. Like I said I think I just need to remove the unrealistic from the optimism. I am too happy in life generally to not want to stay a Pollyanna.

YOU are an amazing woman, and I love your positive attitudes too. How do you keep it from taking over YOUR life? Or maybe that just happened to me after my kids were grown???

Casey said...

Oh! I am so glad you are going. I would love to go but our classes out here aren't at a good time for me. Maybe when I get released. I'm thinking about just working on the steps on my own. You are right, it's not like alcaholism or drugs or something. You asked how I don't let it take over my life and all I could think was that I watch the news WAY too much and so that's a big dose of reality for me. I really don't know. I never thought of a positive person as someone who is struggling until I read your blog. Satan is pretty clever to be able to find every which way he can to try and influence us for bad. He probably said, "How can I get to Leslie, she's so positive and loves life. He must have been coming up with a plan your whole life. The good thing is that we have the gospel to help fight the battles. I hope you keep blogging about this. I will enjoy what you learn and find out about yourself. We can always learn from each other.

Thanks for the kind words. My daughter Maya is unique. I need to work on having more confidence in myself and I know she is here to teach me that.