Trosper Family 2016

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

What WOULD i do? Historical Question #1

I know there is a television show asking the question "What would you do?",  also many people see the anagram WWJD or What would Jesus do.  We know we are supposed to follow Jesus example and he gave us many parables, admonitions, exemplary miracles to teach us what we should do.  Another thing is that history gives us the opportunity to look backwards knowing the "WHOLE" story in hindsight and we can learn and imagine how we would respond to certain consequential events.  It is what we should do, examine what we would want our behavior to be in these situations. We may face the same or similar situations in our lives.  


A couple weeks ago as I was getting ready for church I watched a documentary on BYU television called TRUTH AND CONVICTION. There has not been a day pass since then that I have not considered this  significant presentation. 

I want to give some minimal background information to the story that created TRUTH AND CONVICTION. It was 1941 and Hitler had spent years responding to the fears and economy of the German people after World War I.  He built a powerful propaganda machine that told those in the country what they wanted to hear, then he cut off all access to a different truth.  Slowly Germans became isolated as a message of national unity was desirable.  As the brainwashing continued he was able to direct all the problems to the Jewish people. Without hearing any other information to the contrary some German people began to not only accept, but were grateful for an answer and solution to all their problems.  Of course some didn't believe, but they were taken care of, and so fear ensued and kept others from taking on the Nazi regime.  Friends began reporting friends and family so they wouldn't be questioned themselves as being treasonous.  


Many would not know or believe that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints ("Mormon church") was functioning in Nazi Germany.  It was.  In Hamburg there was a 16 year old young man named Helmuth Huebner who was part of a small branch of the church.  He was a Boy Scout until Hitler banned the organization.  He and his friends joined Hitler's Youth.  He enjoyed the involvement, campouts, etc.  He and his friends became disenchanted when they saw the treatment of the Jews on Kristallnacht in 1938 when Jewish people were attacked in a 24 hour period.  The name "Crystal Night" was given because of the shards of glass all over the streets from broken windows of the shops owned  by Jewish merchants and homeowners.  


The propaganda machine worked through radio broadcasts.Radio broadcasts played home the Nazi ideals – national pride, patriotism, pride in Hitler, Aryan pride etc.   However, Germany was not immune from radio broadcasts from abroad and this proved a real issue for Hitler.Therefore, true to course, the Nazis made it a treasonable offense to listen to oversees  broadcasts. Anyone caught doing so faced a spell in a feared concentration camp and in the first year of the war alone, 1500 Germans were imprisoned for listening to London-based broadcasts.  


It is difficult to imagine how the gratitude of some German's that Hitler had been able to return the nation to a healthier economy, or the fear of being accused of treason and thrown into the dreaded concentration camps, or that your  friend or family member might become your enemy reporting you to the Nazi party for treason.  Helmuth was able to obtain a radio and connect it to BBC in London.  As he listened he realized that the information that was being given to fellow German countryman were half truths and outright lies.  He had always been taught the importance of truth and decided that he needed to share the truth.

He invited two of his friends who were also members of his church congregation to listen to the broadcasts with him.Karl Heinz-Schnibbe and Rudi Wobbe also were surprised at the differences in the BBC broadcasts and those things they heard from the national broadcasts  Helmuth determined he needed to disseminate the truth in the form of pamphlets and fliers.  He enlisted his friends to assist in putting the leaflets in mailboxes,on bulletin boards and in coat pockets.  They were very frightened doing this because they knew that this would be considered treason if they were caught.  Helmuth's early fliers just shared the differences in the BBC vs the Nazi radio broadcasts, but eventually he became bold in accusing Hitler and other Nazi leaders of being criminals.

The branch president/leader of the congregation Helmuth attended was an avid Nazi party member.  He had even posted signs on the church door forbidding Jews to enter.  Imagine how completely brainwashed people became. Or was the Branch President merely protecting the members of his congregation?  It's much easier to determine which side of the line we would stand on now with an understanding of the truth in hindsight.


What would I do if I was in the same situation in Nazi Germany?  Would I have even risked listening to BBC even if it was available?  Would I have challenged my church leader?  Would I have accepted the greater threat to myself, my family, friends, and congregation by distributing the truth?  What would I do if I found out my 16 year old son or grandson was involved in "treasonous" activities?


Helmuth and his friends, Karl and Rudi were discovered.  Karl and Rudi were imprisoned for five and ten years respectively, and Helmuth was sentenced to death.  He was beheaded as the youngest dissident to Hitler and the Nazi regime.  I would like to believe I would stand up for my beliefs like Helmuth, Karl, and Rudi, but without the gift of hindsight I don't know.

At first I was aghast to know that the Branch President and 5 other members of the congregation sided with the Nazi party, but how many German's were brainwashed by the almighty propaganda machine.  We know that the church encourages us to honor the laws of the nation in which we reside.   Also, is it possible that the Branch President chose to outwardly accept the Nazi party to protect his flock?  I do know that when Helmuth and the other boys were discovered it normally would have caused all of the church family to come under attack, and that didn't happen.  I don't know.  It isn't as simple as I thought initially. Again I think that I am so grateful I do not have to judge.  But I can wonder......What would I do?

Helmuth was beheaded on October 27, 1942 when he was 17 years old.  He asked to send 3 letters before he was executed, one is still in existence.  It said in part:

"I am very grateful to my Heavenly Father that my miserable life will come to an end tonight--I could not bear it any longer anyway.  My Father in Heaven knows that I have done nothing wrong. I know that God lives and He will be the Just Judge in this matter.  I look forward to seeing you in a better world!

Your friend and brother in the Gospel,

Helmuth

Helmuth Huebner is a new hero of mine as are his friends Rudi and Karl.  I have a deep admiration for them and their understanding of the importance of truth.  They lived by that understanding.  I hope I would be able to be that hero as well. Because of his example I will have a greater chance of doing so!!

What would you do?


3 comments:

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

As a fan of history I ask myself that question often. I have come to this conclusion. I might think I would do one thing or another. I might hope I would do one thing or another. I might even be convinced of what exactly I would do given those circumstances. Unfortunately, there is really no way to tell. Each of those people in their given situations may have reacted differently than they did were they experiencing those same situations at a different point in their lives. Such is the case with each of us. Whether or not we would do one thing or the other would never be known unless we are in fact placed in that same situation. The nice point is the point you made that you gather experience and strength and resolve from their stories. Hopefully if placed in a situation that requires strength, you can draw on thier experiences for that strength and make the decisions and do the things you believe you should do and would want to do...regardless of circumstance. It is also important, but not as exciting and happy, to learn from those who don't make the right decisions and vow to NOT duplicate their actions.

Leslie said...

Right Marque. When I first learned of this story I really thought that the Branch President was in the wrong for being in the Nazi party, but as I considered it from his point of view (not having all the truths) then you can't be sure. Also, he might have felt it more important, and righteous to protect the members of his branch. It isn't an easy answer.

Roger Heumann said...

There is a story of a Mormon church leader living in a dangerous time of the church that used swear words to protect himself.
We all do what we - at the time - will do what we deem necessary to preserve ourselves or family...as directed by the holy spirit.