Trosper Family 2016

Monday, January 9, 2017

Blogging/Writing

Am I a writer? Wikipedia says this about a writer: writer is a person who uses written words in various styles and techniques to communicate their ideas. Writers produce various forms of literary art and creative writing such as novelsshort storiespoetryplaysscreenplays, and essays as well as various reports and news articles that may be of interest to the public. Writers' texts are published across a range of media. Skilled writers who are able to use language to express ideas well often contribute significantly to the cultural content of a society.

Well,  I guess I am a writer.  I have lots of papers  written on many topics.  My husband, Bud always encouraged me to write.  He thought I was good.  One of the things he would say to me was "You should get that published".  I didn't ever think there was anything particularly good about things I wrote, but I thought it was very nice and supportive that he thought so.  My mom also has encouraged me to write.  She says, "Leslie, you have a way with words.  You got that from your father."  That is a high compliment to me because I loved everything my dad wrote.  I didn't ever know if he particularly wrote well, or if he thought well.  He was sensitive, romantic, and had a great memory so what he thought was beautiful, and he did have the words to express himself.   I am like my father in that I am sensitive, romantic and have a great memory and those are good characteristics to have if you are a writer.  There is still a big question mark to me about whether I am a good writer.  One thing I have realized is that if I pick up something I wrote about my life or my feelings and read it, it will take me back to the moment and feelings I had.  So I guess that is a positive thing.  At least it's good for me in kind of a journal keeping writer.

So, let's say I am a writer.  Then the question arises, Am I an author?   Again turning to Wikipedia it says: An author is narrowly defined as the originator of any written work and can thus also be described as a writer (with any distinction primarily being an implication that an author is a writer of one or more major works, such as books or plays). More broadly defined, an author is "the person who originated or gave existence to anything" and whose authorship determines responsibility for what was created.

According to this definition I guess I am an Author too because I have written (or started writing) many books, poetry, humorous short stories, blogs, and speeches.  What my goal is to become a published author.

Sitting down and writing something is no small task.  First you have to find the time.  I thought I would have oodles of time when I retired, but it is not so.  For some reason sitting down to do anything makes me feel lazy so I have to do all physical tasks first, before I allow myself to start writing.  That attitude will have to change if I am going to accomplish my goal of being a writer, author, and published author.  It will have to become a priority.  After finally sitting down, as I have done tonight I find that the next big step is to find something to write about.  Once I have done that the words seem to flow.  Not necessarily that they are the best words, but I can write fairly quickly when I determine a topic.

To become a published author is much different.  Writing is a right brain activity, and finding out how to publish what you have written is a left brain activity.  I always kind of considered myself more left brained but in this case the right brained writing comes so much easier than the left brained business.
One of my goals in 2017 is to write more.  I don't know who might read these things I write, or if it is even important that anyone reads them.  Practicing a skill makes it better, supposedly.  So therefore if I want to be a published author I need to practice.  My granddaughter Leah is taking piano lessons.  Her goal, or maybe her teachers goal is for her to do a recital to perform.  She can teach Leah the skills, but if Leah doesn't practice then Leah won't be ready to amaze us with her increased ability on the piano.  My other goal is to publish at least one of my works.  About 8 years ago I wrote a children's Christmas book.  It took me about 45 minutes to write, and it is the first time I thought what I wrote was good, commercially good.  Like it might be something people would like to buy if it was published and put on a shelf somewhere.  See, 45 minutes to write it, but 8 years later it isn't published.  Six years ago I found a publisher who would publish, but then I got cold feet, moved to Utah, and went through some new chapters in my own life, therefore, it didn't get published.

Now it has become very popular to self publish and self promote.  Or should I get a literary agent who can help me jump through the hoops?  Where do I find a literary agent, or a publisher?  Well, I better get my left brain working and get busy because my goal for 2017 is to be a published author by the end of the year.  Then everyone can buy my Christmas book for all the children in their lives.

After that it might be easier to publish my Positive Words book, or for Lynette and I to publish our chapter book that we co-wrote many years ago.  Now there is a writer.  Lynette can write something that is so detailed that you feel you are there.  She has been known to bring me to tears with that gift.  My sons Marque and Jim are both very talented writers. Again, I think half of the gift is the sensitivity, creative mind and word craft to be able to express yourself.

Okay, I am going to be doing more blogs now......practice, practice, practice.  If anyone out there in the blogging world has any association with literary agents, or has any idea how to go about self-publishing, or not self publishing, please share your wisdom.  Also, even though I haven't written a lot lately I have written in past years.  So if you would like to read some of my things, please tell me if you think I am a writer, or not.  I am really good at accepting critique.  Probably much better at that than accepting compliments.  But either would be welcome.

And they lived happily ever after!

3 comments:

LRea said...

This is awesome Leslie! Shine on!

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

Mom, you write well and people are impacted by your writing. Personally, I would ask myself, "Why do I want to be published?" For me, I think the answer woild be for recognition and/or validation. I would then have to ask, "Is that why I began writing in the first place and are my desires truly in line with that goal?" For me, writing would be my desire as a therapeutic practice, so, being published doesn't meet my desires. Now, you on the other hand may be different. Is your desire recognition, monetary or to help others or entertain others...or perhaps another reason? If so, I encourage you to prioritize your time towards that end. If not, continue to write in any form that meets your needs; by blog, facebook, journal or stories to share with family and friends.

Leslie said...

Great comment. Mostly is to serve others. Recognition and money do not motivate me. Truly i think the christmas story in my mind ties together the Santa Claus world and Jesus birth. A way to package the true story. Some of my other things are to help others. The sister stories are just fun with a side notion that as sisters we can have totally different perspectives and still love each other.