Trosper Family 2016

Saturday, February 13, 2010

LOVE

Chatting with a friend last night we were discussing how the Savior gave us so many examples in his short mission on earth. It was really only three years that he sojourned among the people teaching them about love primarily. I know that there are so many facets and commandments that we feel we need to adhere to, and sometimes that is overwhelming. But, it is my personal belief that He meant it when he said "The greatest of these is Love".
In Matthew 22:35-38 we see that Christ was asked by the Pharisees which commandment was greater. He told them that first we need to love our Heavenly Father and then we need to love our neighbors as ourselves. Then to really put the exclamation on it He told us that everything else hangs on this principle of love. "On these two commandments hang all the laws and the prophets."
So do we need to feel overwhelmed? Do we need to feel frustrated with everything we are asked to do? I don't think so. I think if we love....our Heavenly Father, our neighbor, our enemy, and ourselves then the rest will come along rather naturally.
Okay, so maybe that isn't as easy as it sounds. Perhaps there is a problem with loving ourselves. If we can't love ourselves, then it follows that it may be harder to love our neighbor. And if we can't love our neighbor then maybe we judge our neighbor, and Christ definitely let us know that was not in keeping with His teachings.
Back to His examples. We wonder about how to treat those who we think aren't living within the correct principles. Maybe someone at church smells of tobacco...do we judge? Absolutely not! Just think of Christ's example with the prostitute who was going to be stoned for adultery in John 8. Didn't He chastise those who were so willing to judge? Didn't He remind them (and us) that they too sin, and therefore have no right to judge. Who will the Lord judge more harshly when we meet with Him to view our Book of Life? I believe it will be those that judged, more than those that smoked, drank. Just imagine if our sins smelled, what would lying smell like? Gossiping? Hypocracy? Imagine the stench in our church meetings if our sins all had an odor. How simple can it be? We are commanded to love, and if we love then we won't judge.
Also if we love, we will reach out to those who don't fit into our little world. In the parable of the good Samaritan, Christ told of the Jew who was beaten, battered, and left for dead. Those in his own circles passed Him by rather than get involved. It was his enemy, a Samaritan, who gave of his time and his money to help the injured man. So how do we apply this to our world today? Maybe to the homosexual, the athiest, the homeless woman on the corner of the freeway? It is too easy to turn our heads, to say "if I give them money they will misuse it". Christ said "Even as ye have done it unto the least of these, my brethren, ye have done it unto me". Would we have walked by Christ and made the judgement against Him that He would have misused our offering? Maybe it is hard to offer money. Maybe instead we can offer our time, our ear, our patience, our love. Everyone has a story, let them share it. How about offering a bottle of water, a granola bar, a Bible or Book of Mormon with the right purpose behind it?
I think sometimes we find ourselves choosing a position sitting on right (conservative), or the left (liberal). Let's think about the homosexual for example. First of all he/she is a child of God, created by Him. He/she is our neighbor too. Have you walked in his shoes, do you really know how he feels, or the torture in his soul? Would Christ have chosen the most liberal point of view saying "Do what you want. If it feels good try it. There is nothing wrong with it." I don't think so. Would He have chosen the most conservative position of "Ignore them. They are sinners. They are defiling and evil." No, I don't think He would be found in that place either. I believe He would have done exactly what He did with the prostitute, He would say "Go and sin no more." and He would tell us "Love your neighbor, and do not judge him." Sometimes I wonder who will be judged most harshly at Jesus knee, the person who was unable to fight against a strong trial, or those of us who choose to turn our backs to our neighbor, turn our love from him and force him to find love elsewhere.
I find it funny sometimes that the person I judge, are those that judge. It's still wrong, it's judging. I don't have that right, and I chastise myself when I catch myself doing it. For instance, when I lived in Virginia there was a very nice older gentleman that lived down the block from us. He was extremely neighborly and greeted us warmly whenever he saw us. I was walking down to the mailbox one day and he was in the front yard so I asked him, "Do you know what time the mail man comes?" His reply literally shocked my very being, "Can't count on anything anymore since they started hiring (derogatory "n word" for those with a black skin) and women." Oh my goodness I turned inside out and found myself very disappointed in that man. But all the way back down the block I counseled myself harshly "Leslie, he was judging others and that's wrong, but it's just as wrong for you to judge him. You don't know how he was raised here in the south, and you don't know what his life experiences are. So Leslie Trosper you have no right to judge him." Only our Heavenly Father, and the Savior know every detail of the road we are on. Only they know what we have been taught by our parents, culture, challenges and experiences. That is why only they can judge. It is very simple, all we have to do is love.
On this valentine day I am going to commit myself to reaching out to others as Christ would, with total unconditional love. And to achieve this goal I recognize I need to start with loving myself. I need to know that Jesus knows my path too, and He will judge me with love as well. Thank goodness!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Being a judger myself I find this very powerful! This is a lesson everyone should hear because I believe everyone judges one way or another and nobody cares to look at it this way. Very good Mom!

Piratewench said...

You probably already know that I do not subscribe to the religious beliefs of christianity. That being said, you are, to me, the epitome of what religion should accomplish in a believer's life and often falls short, if not completely absent of. You don't just talk the talk, my friend. I see that you walk the walk. You have my respect for that. I appreciate that you analyze and question yourself and actually live by your inner workings, instead of just musing by them. Inspired by religion or not, that is what makes a person grow spiritually. Keep sharing the love and Happy Valentine's Day to you!

Hebble said...

Good Story with a powerful meaning. I know it is not easy to follow and I applaud your efforts. I personally am to jaded by the evils I have witnessed and judge everyone I come in contact with as a self-defense mechanism; friend or foe? Are they dangerous, a threat to me or my family, do they have any underlying motives for wanting to have some place in my or my family's life? At work some of these "judgements" are what keeps me alive or prevents the person I have judged for doing harm to others. I would like to think it is the happy medium, not quite what God would necessarily like but not to the extreme of being a radical or racist.

Leslie said...

Thanks for your comments. They mean alot to me.

Jim you may think of yourself as someone who judges, but I also think you are someone who allows for peoples differences as well. I think when you judge it comes out of the same reasoning as Scott is indicating. And of course, that is necessary at times. For instance when we are teaching our children to be kind to all people, yet we also need to teach them to NOT talk to strangers. This may be confusing, but necessary for their safety.

Kathy, Your words are kind. I am glad you see me as someone who "walks the walk". If I don't at least make that effort then I am hypocritical, and that ain't good. I do see such spirituality in you so I know what you mean that it's not about religion. We all have spirituality within us regardless of our personal beliefs. Yours is apparent in not only how you raise your children, but how you enjoy them. And your beautiful way with words in expressing your love for them. I honor you too.

Scott, Our life and how we respond to it is built from our experiences. That was my point about how we shouldn't have the right to judge others. I certainly haven't experienced the things you have, or others, including firemen, military people, doctors etc. They all have lives that develop who they are. Of course in your line of work it is imperative to make quick decisions based on your knowledge and training, and your experiences. You must do this to protect yourself and others, and you have to feel certain about your decisions and actions as well.

I know it is hard, but I think your little ones, Kathy, and your home life must give you a break from having to judge others. You must need that opportunity to just relax and trust those around you so you don't become too hardened.

Keep doing the great job you are doing on both counts. I'm grateful for you and people like you who protect me, and those I love.

Thanks again for reading my blog and commenting.