Trosper Family 2016

Sunday, October 24, 2010

"Special Moments"

I was 18 when Bud and I got married. We ended up in Vegas after a long battle deciding whether to wait to get sealed in the temple (Bud had just joined the church), or have a church wedding, I went to Colorado and South Dakota for the summer. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder", and we decided we wanted to be together sooner rather than later. Of course when you are 18 you don't realize what a baby you really are, so sooner didn't seem so crazy then.

Always one to focus on having a marriage, family, and the "happily ever after", I really never had any other goals even though my grades and intelligence probably would have allowed for a different walk in life. Back then it didn't even occur to me that I could have both. I wanted a baby right away. Every little one I saw I would turn to Bud, with my little puppy eyes and say,
"I want one", like a baby was something in a store window you could just order from Santa Claus. Bud, believe it or not, was more practical. He was 24 so I guess he knew how young I was and how long we had to have and raise children. Also, he wanted to have a house first. So we worked toward that goal. In January, 1968 we got our first home. I was barely 20.

That goal accomplished I was immediately ramping up the conversation about that baby I wanted. We had been married a year and 1/2 and we had enjoyed the time together. We were able to be spontaneous and loved time at the beach, battles of the bands, movies, camping. We really "dated". I thought a baby would only add to that happiness. Finally about a year later Bud agreed that we could stop trying not to, and let nature take it's course. We were so excited when we finally knew that baby was on it's way.

This was pre "natural birth", pre "pampers", pre knowing what the sex was until the baby was born. We honestly were shocked that our first was a boy. We were sure that we would only have girls because of the high count of females on both sides of the family. But we had that little boy, and then began the adventure of being a parent.

Marque was the first so all the newness was there, the excitement, the fear, the wonderment of parenting this little life. I've always said he pretty much raised himself, not because we weren't there every step of the way, but because he is a wise spirit so we could just guide him without too much effort.

When he was two I wrote a little poem after I realized that I wanted to try to catch this little guy's antics on paper. Hard to do, but when I read it again I remember those special moments so well of my little two year old. This was the first poem I ever wrote, ever.... I think it might be special to Marque because it was written when he was exactly the same age as Leah is now.

Special Moments

Cars and trucks zoom, Jack-in-the-box pops,
Everything is going busily,
Then from across the room,
My two year old shouts, "I yuv you Mommy."

His head bowed, eyes peering up,
Knowing he's been very naughty,
With inborn psychology,
He looks at me, and says, "I yuv you Mommy."

Crawling on my lap, arms clasping my neck,
As he gives me a hug every so tightly,
This is the best time of all,
When he whispers, "I yuv you Mommy."

I found some pictures I was going to scan of Marque at two, but my scanner/computer aren't talking so I will have to add them later.

Marque, Mommy yuvs you!

4 comments:

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

I still yuv you Mommy. I can't believe I just typed that! Love you, Mum.

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

Marque and I agree that this is probably our favorite age so far. You can really see Leah's brain going a mile a minute trying to figure out this big ol world. Independence means a fight here and there, but it also comes with genuine expressions of feelings. It's funny how you ended this blog because on my anniversary card to Marque I added a caption under a picture of Leah that said, "I yuv you, Dad". Just like Leah says it.

Leslie said...

It really was the "naughty" moment that brought this poem about. He wasn't really "Naughty" but evidently he thought he was because of the way he said his "I yuv you, Mommy". He was in his high chair eating spaghetti and he had spread it, splashed it, and put the bowl on his head. A true mess! I looked at him and said "Markie! What are you doing?" And that's when he put on the puppy dog eyes, peered up at me and said that in kind of a whisper. He just knew, at two, that I would melt, and of course I did. Such a fun age. The adventures are just beginning.

Jinky said...

What a lovely time. ~btw, thanks for your comments on my book blog. :)

**@Sarah/Marque: enjoy the two, the three is crazy!! ...well at least it was for my kids.