Trosper Family 2016

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Words to Live By--Balance

I love the opportunity to observe, write, and then ponder on various words. Words have power. I believe they can provoke thought and then change. There are so many words that empower each one of us. I am journaling on words that produce strong emotion in me.

Balance. I don't have much balance in my life and its one of those things I chase alot. I don't think I'm alone. Isn't it human nature to do what is easiest first, and put off those things that don't come as naturally? I recognize the importance of balance. If we only do what is fun, then we may not achieve those things that might come with hard work. If we totally focus on the laborious tasks we have to accomplish then we don't enjoy our lives as much as we should.

I remember a day that was particularly eyebrow raising as a mother. My oldest son was very involved in planning his future, setting goals, and being very serious about it. I leaned into his room and reminded him "it's great you are making such great plans, but remember to take time to stop and smell the roses too. Tomorrow is important, but so is today." I went down the stairs to catch my second son involved in some very momentary pleasures and not doing his homework. I caught myself as I said to him "It's always nice to enjoy the moment, but you need to look forward too. It isn't all about fun, plan for tomorrow too."

There I was recognizing that we don't want to be lopsided as we live this life we were given. I haven't found anything, except perhaps love that in excess is not harmful. Iguess even love could be "too much" if unrequited or harrassing.


I realize it's crazy but I love to clean house and to organize. It is a very satisfying pasttime to me. I guess it's because I get a pretty immediate reward for my labors. If I am feeling out of sorts it works to tear apart, then organize a closet, or scrub a floor. That's great for having a clean house but recently when I moved my kids teased me when they found I had even organized left over napkins, utensils, and straws from take out restaurants. When I am busy doing those things that come easy to me, am I putting off other important tasks, or self fulfilling and healthy options?

It seems I put ME at the bottom of my "to do" list. Since I am a list writer I've tried to divide my daily plans into a more balanced schedule. Physical, House, Errands, Social, Spiritual, and Financial are the headings. In the social area I migh include phone calls I want to make to family and friends, or notes I intend to write. Spiritually I may include writing in my journal, visiting teaching, reading uplifting books, or time to ponder and pray.

My intent is to include balance in my daily activities. More often than not I find I do the household chores before the others....it's my comfort zone. So I try to do one from each section and then repeating the process. When I am successful I feel I am more balanced. I don't just go to bed in a clean house, but I have moved myself and my other goals a little further along too.

Right now I am trying to lean the balance toward becoming a more healthy me. I'm trying to get exercise in on a daily basis, and I am spending time preparing healthier foods, and actually taking time to eat.

I recognize that emotional and spiritual balance are so important in those goals as well. I need to include the Lord in my plans, being grateful for successes, and asking for his help when I don't succeed. Al;so, writing in my jourhal, reading scriptures, and meditating help me put all of my goald in their proper priority.

It is still hard to fight old habits. There will always be something to keep me from taking care of me. I need to keep working to find that "balance" in my daily life. I am a Libra (scales) after all and "balance" is the key. Yesterday I was so proud of myself that when running short of time, I chose to leave my bed unmade and go to exercise. It felt like a battle won, putting me ahead of my house. In the whole scheme of things I think my health has more importance than a made bed.

Remember that Les as you try to keep balance in your life.

Postscript: I was telling Jim about my little list change and he told me that it really wasn't much of a change at all. He said "You have always had a list Mom, and every once in awhile you change it up, but it always had something to do with breaking things down, and putting balance into it." He also said "You spell it O C D Mom."
He also gave me a few hints about how he lists and priortizes the things he does. The major difference is that he doesn't list over 100 things to do a day he targets three of the most important things, and he accomplishes them. He also said I shouldn't go back and add things done that were not originally scheduled goals.

I dunno Jim, that might be a whole other kind of balance. I'll have to wean myself from my rather organized, copious list.

2 comments:

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

Balance is one of my favorite words.

honey_va46 said...

you're really good at organizing things. i'm not really good after all. sometimes i make a list of things to do and find myself successful but many times i fail. i think it's because i dont wanna focus on the list i've made.
lately i've been so strict in listing up my activities. i dont wanna regret things i dont do today in my future.i believe there's a link for today and tomorrow so hopefully i can be consistent.
thanks for sharing about "balance"...
GBU